Skip to main content


20:53 22nd July 2009



Two goals in four minutes saw Yeovil fall to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Colchester in the final game of the season.


Terry Skiverton accepted the result on the chin saying, "I think a bit of tiredness crept in, not necessarily physical tiredness, more mental tiredness. They've been under immense pressure in the last few games."

Yeovil started brightly and had the lion's share of the possession for the opening period. They had a half chance when Keiran Murtagh had a shot went high over the bar.


Colchester took the lead against the run of play in the 13th minute through Ashley Vincent.

Terrell Forbes gifted the ball to Mark Yeates whose low ball found Vincent on the edge of the box. Vincent's shot somehow crept under the body of Chris Weale.


Moments later it got worse for the Glovers as Colchester doubled their lead through Yeates, forcing the Huish Park crowd into stunned silence.


In similar circumstances to their first Simon Hackney found Yeates twenty yards from goal, who drove a left footed shot at goal that beat Weale to make it 2-0.

Yeovil's first real effort on goal came in the 36th minute through Andy Welsh. The winger found space, and from distance struck a tricky left footed shot that Dean Gerken just about held on to.


The Glovers were close to pulling one back 5 minutes before half time when Pat Baldwin nearly bundled the ball into his own net from Andros Townsend's dangerous cross.

Half Time: Yeovil Town 0 Colchester United 2

Jonathan Obika was the first to threaten in the second half with a left footed shot that Gerken held onto well.


Gerken was called into action again the 51st minute with Obika forcing another good save from the Colchester shot stopper.


Murtagh struck the woodwork from 20 yards in the 58th minute as the Glovers pushed on to get something from the game.

Obika was replaced in the 75th minute to a standing ovation by the Yeovil fans for his contribution to the Glovers relegation battle.


Yeovil were close to pulling one back in the 78th minute through Craig Alcock who had acres of space at the far post.

It took, what seemed an eternity, for the ball to drop to Alcock whose right footed shot was well saved by Gerken.


Substitute Johnnie Jackson came close to making it 3-0 with a free kick from 25 yards that when over Weale's bar.

Weale was replaced in the 85th minute by Josh Wagenaar and the on loan keeper received a massive ovation from the Glovers supporters.


"I took him off 'cos he was having a stinker!" Skiverton joked. "He's been immense for me, and his goal will go down in history." He added.

Ian Perkins

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.